May 2, 2011

Dear Stevie Wonder: We Need a Human Kindness Day

May 2, 2011 1:15 a.m. -- Yesterday, I posted a message on Facebook about a random act of kindness done by a woman I encountered downtown. Do any other children of the '70s recall Human Kindness Day, headlined in '75 by Stevie Wonder on the grounds of the Washington Monument? Newspaper accounts report that the day turned violent. I swear, I don't remember that. I have this sensory memory of Human Kindness Day, and I remember it as being all happiness and light. Feeling free. I was a senior in high school. Life didn't get much better. Hmmmm.

As I watch folks celebrate bin Laden's death, I feel a need for a Human Kindness Day. Maybe this is that for some of those celebrating tonight. Could it be? Not judging. I know this moment is cathartic for many. I know it's bringing that horrible morning racing to the front of many people's minds. I think about the horror of the Pentagon. Still, human kindness would serve us well now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Living in the belly of the beast impacts our civility. The degree into which it impacts that civility varies, but nevertheless it impacts that civility.

Obviously those who celebrate the death of another man with such jubiliation are more adversely impacted by the beast; affected by the uncivilized culture that we live in.

Furthermore, the civility of our world, or lack thereof gives understanding to those who continue to promote torture as a method of interrogation.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Master Anonymous above. An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind. My flag of suspicion raised when I heard "buried at sea". Then I considered the careful wording of news reports. Osama dead, not "killed", "murdered". I suspected the timing might be political and at least one seasoned "mainstream" columnist made a clear case that it was. And don't even get me started on my latent conspiracy-theory-fed suspicions that we are in the midst of an un-declared World War III, and that weather-warfare is underway, as well. (O.k. the sooner I get back to work, the less time I'll have for all this thinking.)
Meanwhile, bits and pieces of info gleaned about the ability for engineers to create natural disasters have become more interesting to me in light of the recent storms.
Heeeeey! I know. I can let this imagination run wild and create a fun piece of fiction about surviving WWIII.

Unknown said...

Master Anonymous? Why "Master"? It's not used here as an indication of gender, is it? The writer might not be male.

Anonymous said...

I heard a report on television that most of the kids celebrating were in elementary or jr. high school when 911 happened, and that these kids were reacting to something that they experienced as children. I still think that it's sad that these children are so full of sensationalism and happy to celebrate the death of someone who did them wrong. Yes he was wrong, and yes he did something more than horrible, but I agree, an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind. Thank you for that.. In addition, there is something to be said about the people who want to see the dead body. They say that they want to see proof, but I think that there is more to that as well.

Anonymous said...

If someone is willing to kill themselves just to kile me I must have done something very bad.