Jun 29, 2013

Paula Deen, Nikki Giovanni, and Grandmothers: Free Association on a Saturday Morning

I woke up with Paula Deen on my mind because my sister and I were on the phone last night discussing that situation, and I think I might want to write something about it. I haven't sorted it all out yet, so I was making some notes toward that end.

But then I completely shifted gears and picked up my copy of Nikki Giovanni's My House. I always find kinship and solace and humor in Nikki, although sometimes she's over there and I'm over here. I wasn't looking for Nikki to provide answers or clarity on Paula Deen, don't go thinking that. As I said, I shifted gears. 

When I looked again at the first poem in the book, "Legacies," I thought about my mother's mother and her Sunday dinners, and I also thought, but not in a hostile way, that I don't need Paula Deen to teach me about good eating.

"i want chu to learn how to make rolls," the grandmother in the poem calls out to the little girl on the playground.

"i don't want to know how to make no rolls." the little girls calls back.

"lord these children," the grandmother says.

Open this link to read the entire poem -- 

No comments: