May 11, 2014

Kanye West (for example), Thoughts on Modern-day Celebrity


I. "Money is numbers and numbers never end.
If it takes money to be happy,
your search for happiness will never end." ...  
Bob Marley.

II. "I made it over NBA, NFL players
So every time I score it’s like the Super Bowl.
Baby, we should hit the south of France
So you could run around without them pants.
I put that glacier on your little hand
Now that’s the only thing without a tan.
My trophy on that Bound bike, I gave you only pipe.
If people don’t hate then it won’t be right.
You could look at Kylie, Kendall, Kourtney and Khloe,
All your Mama ever made was trophies, right?" ...
Kanye West.

III. Kanye West (for example) must have thought:
People will like me and think I'm somebody if I get a lot of money
and lots of stuff and a whole lot of fame;
and hang out with other famous, pretty people
who invite me to their parties and weddings;
and if I flaunt it all ...
my stuff and my things and my friends,
and tell people how it's too bad
they can't be me. 

That, instead of: 
I could have a good, rich, intensely colorful life
if I am kind and conscientious;
if I listen to people, and laugh with them,
if I help them and share with them.
If I am not ... 
an all-day jerk.


Part II from “I Won,” words by Future, performed by Future and Kanye West

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I dont care for Kanye but lets be real about this. He's a genius by street standards he was the most sought out writer and lets not forget "John Legend" was/is under Kanye and many others bloggs aren't talking about. He speaks real life situations so lets face it, he's a smart manfir putting himself with the right people to gain knowledge and benefit from it building his empire. I myself have done it to gain knowledge and employment. Kanye says what most of us thinks it just comes out of his mouth in the wrong environment. Or does it??;-)

Unknown said...

Myra, I can challenge each of your points, but I've made mine -- for the most part. I do have to go a little further. You write: "Kanye says what most of us thinks it just comes out of his mouth in the wrong environment." Myra, who is "us"? Other mysogynists? Other self-haters? I also must ask: If he is saying the right things in the wrong environment, pray, tell, what is the right environment for him to say the things he says?

picturealex said...

Not to pile on Ms. Freeman but it seems from your comments that Kanye's money and financial success are all the credentials he needs to say anything he likes leaves me questioning. His apparent conviction that no women (apparently black or white) are due even basic respect seems to hold no sway with you. When we as a community begin to accept or affirm that money is the ultimate good in this world and makes up for any transgression on our people our women or ourselves we are in trouble. Entertainers like Kanye have the ear of our young people and that should carry with it the responsibility to learn and speak our truth, not what is expedient or simply rhymes with the last line. And when they do not, is our responsibility to call them out and set them straight, to call them out, to let them know that they are standing on the shoulders of true genius, true trend setters, true men and women of value and principals: I'm speaking of people like Nat King Cole, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Ella Fitzgerald, Lena Horne performers who payed the price, played the "chittlin' circuit", they played in venues where black people weren't allowed to frequent. Our ancestors are due our RESPECT and no amount of money or street cred makes Kanye West exempt.
It is a new day because someone endured the old day!