May 28, 2012

"Porgy and Bess" on Broadway


Returned very early this morning from seeing Porgy and Bess on Broadway. The ten Tony nominations are no mistake! This production is all-the-way theater, a revival that gives new dimensions to the characters, molding them with more depth and realism, but still within the context of 1930s Catfish Row. With the brilliant Suzan-Lori Parks authoring the story adaptation, and give-it-all-you’ve-got Audra McDonald playing Bess, I much prefer seeing “Porgy” on this musical stage than the opera stage. Parks’ dramatic edginess (see “Top Dog Under Dog”) made me feel as if I were seeing this masterpiece for the first time. The beloved musical score (riveting adaption) as performed by this orchestra and cast turned me inside out! Go ... see!! Here I am with Norm Lewis ("Porgy") and Phillip Boykin ("Crown").
 

1 comment:

Fae said...

Wow!
Glad you did go and see it. I love the way Norm sings. He sang with Alfie Boe in the Le Miz 25th Anniversary Concert! Good review and pix!